How to pass the Texas Insurance Licensing Exam

Preparing for Texas insurance licensing exam

Are you considering getting an insurance license in the state of Texas? If you are, then you probably have a lot of questions about where to go, who to talk to and what to do. Fortunately, America’s Professor has pulled together all  of our knowledge and resources to create one comprehensive site with the answers you require. Below you will find sample questions, basics of test format and scoring, pricing, testing locations, how to fully prepare yourself for the exam and more!

We’re here to help you succeed and that means providing you with the best information available. Our courses offer preparation for all types of state insurance licensing exams and they are available to you at the click of a mouse. Read on and enroll today!


State of Texas

What kind of questions do they put on the Texas insurance test?


All of the Texas insurance exam questions are multiple choice. There are no fill-ins (no need to memorize) and no essay (no need to be ready to explain anything) questions.

For example:

texas sample questions

A multiple choice test will usually test heavily on definitions (terminology) and numbers (dollar amounts and number of days).

The exam is drawn from a large pool of questions – you will have a different set of questions than the person sitting next to you. If you retake the exam, expect to see very few of the questions repeated on the next exam. Students report that the exams vary greatly in terms of the number of questions on any given topic.

Students report that about 1/3 of the questions are terminology (definitional) questions, 1/3 are number/day questions, and 1/3 are questions where you have to apply the knowledge to reason through a practical situation (story problems – usually short).


What score do I need to pass the Texas insurance exam?


In Texas, you need a score of 70 to pass each exam. But, each exam consists of two parts – the “national” insurance section and the “state rules” section. The national and state questions are mixed together in Texas. You will need a combined score of 70 to pass.


Are questions grouped by category?


Our students always want to know if the questions regarding indemnification (for example) are grouped together. No, questions and topics are randomly scrambled, but that never seems to be a problem for anyone.


What insurance exams are given in Texas and what do they cost?

Texas Pearson VUE Insurance Exams and Time Allotted

* Please be sure to check Pearson VUE’s Texas Candidate Handbook (located here) for updates. Personal checks and cash will not be accepted.


How many questions are on the Texas insurance exam?


The Texas General Lines Property and Casualty exam has  150 questions. The break down is 100 scoreable + 20 pretest questions on national/general content and 25 scoreable + 5 pretest questions on Texas state specific content.

The Texas Property and Casualty Adjuster exam has  150 questions. The break down is 150 scoreable questions on national/general Texas state specific content. Please note: In Texas, Adjusters can either go to an approved Adjuster school and pass the school’s exam (highly recommended for real world experience) or they can prepare for, and pass, the Pearson VUE exam. 

The Texas General Lines Life, Annuities and Health exam has  150 questions. The break down is 100 scoreable + 20 pretest questions on national/general content and 25 scoreable + 5 pretest questions on Texas state specific content.

The Texas Life Only exam has  100 questions. The break down is 50 scoreable + 10 pretest questions on national/general content and 35 scoreable + 5 pretest questions on Texas state specific content.

The Texas Personal Lines exam has 116 questions. The break down is 75 scoreable + 11 pretest questions on national/general content and 25 scoreable + 5 pretest questions on Texas state specific content.

Pretest questions do not count towards your score. You will not know what questions are real or pre-test questions when taking your exam. It’s very possible the pre-test questions will not even be covered in the Test Content Outline. It’s very important to know that these pre-test questions will be in your exam so you don’t start second guessing yourself when you see a question that you have no idea how to answer (make your best guess and stay calm!).


Where can I take the Texas insurance exam?

Texas Pearson VUE Testing Locations

*Locations and schedules are subject to change. Please call 1-888-754-7667 for up-to-date information. Please be sure to check Pearson VUE’s Texas Candidate Handbook (located here) for updates.


How do I sign up to take the Texas insurance exam?


We recommend that you call Pearson VUE (the testing company) at 1-888-754-7667. Be sure to call at least 3 days in advance of the date you plan to take the exam. The earlier you sign up, the better your chances of getting the test date of your choice.


How much is the Texas insurance license fee?


The Texas Department of Insurance charges $50 per license type (ex. General Lines-Property & Casualty or General Lines-Life, Accident & Health), or $150 for a temporary license.


How do I sign up for fingerprinting/background check and what is the fee?


You must schedule a fingerprint appointment by visiting http://www.identogo.com or by calling 1-888-467-2080. The electronic fingerprint fee is $41.45 (may vary).


Which Texas insurance test is the toughest?


Each insurance licensing exam presents its own challenge. Between Life and Accident & Health portion of the exam, students say that the Texas Accident & Health portion of the insurance exam is the more difficult. Accident & Health insurance policies are simply more complicated than life insurance policies.

The Property portion of the insurance exam is easier than the Casualty portion of the insurance exam (Property and Casualty can not be taken separately). Property insurance deals with easy to understand issues – fire, flooding, earthquake, etc. On the other hand, Casualty insurance deals primarily with Liability insurance – protection against lawsuits. Casualty insurance is a more conceptual topic and one that is more difficult for students to grasp – particularly if you have never been sued.

The state portion of the Texas insurance exam is very detailed and presents its own challenges. The state topics tend to cover trivial details relating to complicated state regulations. None of this is easy, but that is why we work so hard to make the material both understandable and memorable.

This is a challenging exam. Put yourself on a strict schedule as you do your exam prep work. Be focused and disciplined as you do your insurance test prep.


Will I have adequate time to complete the Texas insurance test?


Yes. We rarely have students say that they ran out of time to complete the exam. Most students finish in about half of the allotted time (see graph above). If English is not your first language you can request extra time by filling out Pearson VUE’s English as a Second Language (ESL) Request Form. Keep in mind that this form needs to be submitted to Pearson VUE, and approved, before scheduling your exam. You will also need to submit a a letter (on official letterhead) from an instructor, like America’s Professor, or employer that verifies English is your second language. 


Is the Texas insurance exam still given by the “paper and pencil” method?


No, this is a computerized exam. Virtually all of the students say the proctors were helpful, the room was quiet, and the computer worked well. The proctors will give you the opportunity to complete a practice exam to learn how to use the system. When you are done, you will NOT be given a copy of the exam, nor will you be given the opportunity to review particular questions and their answers. The exam will be scored immediately and you will know your results when you leave.


What is the best test prep method for the Texas insurance exam?


There is no alternative to knowing the material. There are no shortcuts to learning but there are more effective and less frustrating ways to learn. We recommend that you follow a 4-step process:
  • watch and listen to the lecture;
  • highlight key concepts in the text;
  • review questions in the test bank; and
  • send AP an email if you have any questions.
video courses online sample questions
Texas Online Video Courses Texas Insurance Sample Questions

Helpful Links:

General Insurance License Exam Information:

78 responses to “How to pass the Texas Insurance Licensing Exam”

  1. Justin says:

    Hello, I am just a little bit confused, the Fee for General Lines: Life Accident and Health is 62 dollars on the chart. But you list that the Texas Department of Insurance charges 50 dollars per license type. Is that a total of 112 dollars to take the exam?


    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hi Justin,
      You have to pay a $62 fee to Pearson VUE each time to take the insurance licensing exam. Hopefully you pass the exam the first time 🙂 Once you have passed the exam you then apply for your license which costs $50. Keep in mind there is also a fingerprint fee that is around $45. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Feel free to give us a call.

  2. Eva says:


    I have a 2010 kaplan edition Property and Casualty Insurance book. i know that there has been some changes in March 2016 here in Houston that went effective September 2016. Do i need a newer version of Kaplan? do i need a State Law Supplement also?

    I appreciate your help.

    Thank you

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Eva,
      You will probably want to ask Kaplan that question as 6 years old is getting out there a bit but my guess is that you are probably still in good shape considering only a 70% is needed to pass the exam. You definitely need material that cover the state laws specific to Texas. I believe newer versions of the Kaplan books combine both state and national material. Do be sure to check out our Texas video course and book combos if you decide to purchase another course. 😉 Good luck!

  3. […] Insurance exams are an important step in becoming a licensed insurance salesperson, so getting prepared and ready to take the exam is a good investment. No matter if you are going for a Life and Health, Auto, Property, or any other lines of insurance license, the four prep tips will help you get ready for a Texas insurance license exam. […]

  4. James says:

    I am needing advice on the correct study material for the general lines: life, accident and health insurance exam I am taking this April.

    InsTX-LAH05: General Lines – Life, Accident and Health (English)

  5. A says:

    I never had problems with testing. My test had been scheduled twice but I feel like their testing receptionist are being discriminated toward me for being rude. I don’t get to test, I lose the cost, and emotional damage. All the hard work I put in studying just got crumbled making me don’t want to continue. Unfortunately, I have a company behind me. Than, they find fault with me regarding my name change. I wasn’t informed properly the first time on April 10, 2017. My company rescheduled me for April 17, 2017, and the same thing happens. Now, I can’t reschedule until my documents are faxed in and they say it’s going to take 5-10 business days. Wasted my last 3 weeks, $130 already down the drained… It sucks that [they] are the only center offering insurance state exam. I preferred a different facility. Definitely, not happy with being mistreated. But I’m not going to let these redundant test workers deter me away. Just posting my Awareness out that these rude staff needs to be fired and not ruin it for testers. It’s pretty much bullying,

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Well I think there are a couple things that everyone can learn from your experience. It’s very important that your identification matches up to the name you set your licensing exam up with. Using your legal name and having identification to back it up is a must. Some states have a pre-licensing course requirement (Texas does not) which requires that your certificate of completion, and two forms of identification, match up with your scheduled exam name. It’s a good thing to remember that most test providers require 2 business days notice if you intend to change your exam date (they need time to refill/sell that test spot). Good luck to those students scheduling exams in the future. I recommend that our students touch bases with us before they test to make sure we’ve answered any questions they may have.

  6. Shelbie says:

    Can you go an take classes? instead of online and text books.

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Absolutely, there are many live class providers who offer 3-5 day classes (although we only have online). These classes are usually designed for you to take the course on a Wednesday – Friday and test immediately on Saturday. If you do entertain going to a live class just search online for one in your local area. One major point to look for though in a provider is how well their instructor is rated. We get countless phone calls from students who took a live class and the instructor put them to sleep by just reading out of a book. Good luck in your searches!

  7. Frank W Smith says:

    Well I have finished my Life and Health and my Texas Manual. I have passed all of my course tests and have my test date for This coming Tuesday June 20th. I feel confident and continue to review. Any suggestions as far as my final review process? A little nervous because I see the failure rate for 1st timers is abut 33%. Even larger for re-testers.

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Just be sure to ask if you have any questions on content before you take your exam. If your first round of scores was high on your practice questions then I’m sure you will do great. Sometimes it nice to review the video lectures in the first few chapters if you haven’t viewed them in a while. Also be sure to get a good night’s sleep before you test. Good luck on your exam!

  8. Teresa says:

    I absolutely loved the professor for my general lines P N C for Texas. I need thoughts now for Texas Life and health license. Thank you.

  9. IAtoTX says:

    I’m not sure where to start. I’m currently a claim examiner in Iowa wanting to move to Dallas, TX. I’m seeing positions that require Texas licensing. Im here because I want to get a Texas license but I don’t know which one to choose. What would be the best one to begin with to make myself the most marketable.

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello, Which Texas license are they requiring? General Line Property and Casualty or Adjuster? You might look at transferring your existing licenses to Texas. Give us a call and we could chat. Thanks!

  10. al says:

    if I need ESL what I need to prove them? as English is my 2nd language

  11. Christina Cooper says:

    I need material to study for property and casualty in Texas.

  12. Ashley says:

    I’m a current owner of a small trucking Texas company.
    I am interested in offering trucking insurance in my office.
    What study category does that fall in?

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Ashley, If you are looking to sell commercial trucking insurance to the public you will need a Texas General Lines Property and Casualty license, get an agency license (or someone to work for) and then find carriers to represent and sell their products. Keep in mind that you need to have “x” amount of your business come from customers other than yourself/company. The industry wants to make sure you aren’t just going into insurance to get yourself/company discounted rates. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

  13. Eric says:

    Hi, how often can you take the property and casualty tests!?

    Thank you

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Eric, If you fail the insurance exam in Texas you must wait 24 hours before signing up again. I don’t believe there is a limit on how many times you can take it as the testing center will most likely keep taking your test fees. If you are one of our students and failed please send in your fail sheet so that we can evaluate your scores and give study recommendations. We will stick with you until you pass!

  14. Tony says:

    What Study material do I need and where can I get it in order to take my insurance state exam ?

  15. Leigh Lusignan says:

    I am currently a licensed independent Health and Life Insurance agent. I would like to become a licensed Property & Casualty agent. Can you suggest the quickest and easiest way to do so? What study material is required and is anything accessible through the internet?

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Leigh, We have a great Texas P&C course with videos, book and questions available through the internet. We also send a printed copy of both the national manual and Texas state manual in the mail. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

  16. gina says:

    How long can we access the course material after purchase?

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Gina, We stick with students until they pass their exam. After that you will always have your book for reference. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Have a great day!

  17. Bianca says:

    I am currently in the process of getting my license in Texas as this is where I reside majority of time but occasionally fly to AZ for some business as well. I know AZ test is a producers life 1331 I’m having trouble finding which licensing exam I need to take for Texas as this where I will be at majority of the time

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Bianca, The 13-31 Prometric exam for Arizona is a Life Producer exam. In Texas you would want to take the Pearson VUE Life Agent exam, InsTX-Life01 (English) or InsTX-Life21 (Spanish). You will want to take the exam and get a resident license in your resident state (Texas) and then apply for a non-resident license in any other state you would like to conduct business in (Arizona). Good luck!

  18. Jose Camara says:


    I currently work as an estimator in a body shop.

    What license do I need for an adjuster?

    Thank you

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Jose, Assuming you are in Texas you would need to obtain your Texas Adjuster license by either going to a local Texas Adjuster school (recommended for real world application), who has the ability to give the licensing exam, or prepare for the Adjuster exam online and take your Adjuster Exam at a Pearson VUE location. We’ve had quite a few student use our Texas General Lines Property and Casualty course to help them prepare for the Texas Adjuster (All Lines) exam as the test content outlines are very similar. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

  19. AP says:

    I’m taking my test January 27,2018. Do I need to purchase the study materials exactly 45 days prior or can I purchase now and utilize them until my upcoming test? (even though it’s more than 45 days in advance)

    Thanks 🙂

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello, We give free extensions until you pass your exam so the 45-day initial subscription period doesn’t really matter. Just ask us to extend your course until your test date. 😉

  20. ELSA F CARDENAS says:

    hello i am looking to get my license for insurance the company i work for is aware that i have a home school diploma will i need to get my GED in order to get licensed in the state of texas?

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Elsa, An education requirement may be set by the hiring company but doesn’t determine whether you can get a license.
      GENERAL LICENSE REQUIREMENTS (Pearson VUE Texas Candidate Handbook):
      TDI will issue an insurance license to individuals who:

      • Are at least eighteen (18) years old
      • Have passed the proper licensing examination (if required) within twelve (12) months of the date of receipt of the completed
        license application and fee
      • Have submitted a completed application with fee, and fingerprint receipt
      • Have met all applicable license requirements
      • Have not committed an act for which a license may be denied, as defined under §4005.101 of the Texas Insurance Code and
        §1.502 of 28 Texas Administrative Code.
  21. Lorie says:

    If I am a teacher and have been finger printed for my job do I need to get finger printed again with the correct paperwork for this or can I just use something from HR?

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hi Lorie, You will have to be fingerprinted again which includes their “special” background check so that it is consistent with other states’ background check practices.

  22. Angie L Gonzalez says:

    I want to open my own ins co with that being said I just need to take this test and I’m ready?

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Angie, You will first need to get your Producer license then an Agency license. Most people will find a company to work for to get experience for a year or so before opening up their own agency. You will be selling an Insurer’s policies so they generally require that you have experience doing that before they allow you to sell their policies at your own agency.

  23. Angie L Gonzalez says:

    How and where do I get a producer lic?

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hi Angie, You need to study up for, and pass, the producer licensing exam give by Pearson VUE (mentioned above). Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks and have a great day!

  24. Jenna says:

    Hello I have a question I studying for the Texas personal lines Property and Casualty exam only to find out that I needed to take the Texas General lines Property and Casualty exam I have scheduled the general lines test for next Wednesday my question is is it that much different than the personal lines Property and Casualty exam?

  25. Mari Holguin says:

    Hello, my name is Mary. Just to be clear the General lines is known as the PNC and the personal is also known as the limited lines.

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Mary, A Texas General Lines Property and Casualty (P “and” C) is a full license that allows you to sell both personal and commercial lines insurance. A Personal Lines license doesn’t allow you to sell commercial lines insurance. Most people want to be able to sell commercial lines also because those policies are usually high dollar policies with great commissions.

  26. Sonia says:

    I want yo begin to sell car insurances I don’t hsve any idea where to begin

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Sonia, You will want to obtain a Texas General Lines Property and Casualty license and that will allow you to sell home and auto insurance while working at an insurance company. Here is a link to our TX PC prep course that would prepare you to pass the TX General Lines P&C exam. You will also want to start researching with companies are hiring agents/producers in your area. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks and have a great day!

  27. John De Hyun says:

    Are you guaranteed I will pass the exam, and If I will be failed, so that I will get the full refund?

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hi John, No one can guarantee you will pass the exam as not everyone is supposed to pass the exam. We will however stick with you until you pass your exam. If you start your course and don’t like it, send the materials back for a full refund. A large responsibility is placed on our student’s shoulders to complete their course as outlined in our study guide. If you fail your exam just send us your fail report and we will give you study recommendations. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks and have a great day!

  28. Anna says:

    I am wanting to get a P&C license in Texas..is it just one course to take..I read about pre-licenses that then require further courses and another test

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hi Anna, You will want to take a P&C pre-license class to prepare for the Pearson VUE license exam. Then pass the license exam and apply for your license. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

  29. Dominic says:

    Hi, I need Life, Accident, Health, Property & Casualty. Does that mean that I will need to take two exams or is there one exam that covers everything?

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Dominic, You will need to take an exam for General Lines Property/Casualty (PC) and one for General Lines Life/Accident/Health (LAH). We generally recommend that you take PC first then move one to LAH unless your employer recommends otherwise. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

  30. Oli says:

    Hello, according to someone I can’t take only the life insurance test in Texas. The person stated that I need to take both the Life & Health test since it’s Texas. Is this true?

    Also is the “life Agent test ” the same as “Life Insurance only”?

    And, do I need to get my fingerprint before I take the exam or can I do it after I take the test ?

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Oli, In Texas you can get a Life only license but not a Health only license. Yes, the Life Agent test is for Life only students (Life only pre-license course). Sign up for your fingerprinting right after you sign up for your exam with Pearson VUE. Good luck!

  31. Carolina says:

    Can I get the exam (insurance license) in Spanish ?

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Carolina, You can take the Pearson VUE state exams in Spanish for Property & Casualty (InsTC-PC26), Life & Health (InsTX-LAH25), Life only (InsTX-Life01), All Lines Adjuster, (InsTX-ALAdj36) etc. You can check page 17 of Pearson’s VUE Texas Candidate Handbook for the full list of exams given. You can also look into getting extra time for the exam using the English as a Second Language form. I’m not sure of any insurance pre-licensing classes given in Spanish though. A online search for your local area may produce some live classes. Good luck!

  32. Christina Gauna says:

    I have a couple of felony convictions on my record. Does this automatically exclude me from getting licensed in the state of Texas?

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Christina, I’d make sure you check with Texas Department of Insurance first (512-676-6500 or their form), here is some information on the fingerprint/background process but I know they generally have a way for you to do the background check first. That would determine if they would issue you a license if you passed the licensing exam.

  33. Mohammed says:

    Hi, how can I be licensed broker represents
    many insurance companies to sell car insurances . how can I get this license and where in Houston . thanks

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Mohammed, It sounds like you want to get your Texas General Lines Property and Casualty (PC) license (for home and auto insurance) and then go to work for a non-captive insurance agency which would allow you to represent many insurance companies. First you will want to take a Texas PC course then take your exam with Pearson VUE. After passing your exam you can apply for your license and find a good company to go to work for. Good luck! Let us know if you need anything else.

  34. latasha lee says:

    I am going for a job as a representative this company services property & casualty which exam would I need because if I have my license before I get the job offer I will get paid more

  35. chasity hoch says:

    how do i get information to study for the pearson vue insurance licences. im trying to get my insurance licences to sell insurance

  36. Will Dickey says:

    Hi, I wanted to let you know that I passed my Texas General lines – life, accident, health and HMO on Friday with a 95! Now I am going to apply for my license, but I am not really clear on the difference in agent and agency licenses. Can you help clarify? BTW great training material!!

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      First of all, CONGRATS!!! That is a very high score for the exam! As for the license, you will want an Agent license to start out with. Later, after you get some experience and if you decide to open your own agency, you would be interested in the agency license. Please give us a call if you have any other questions. Thanks and have a great day!

  37. Lindsay says:

    I am new to this test. I don’t know the test I will need. I want to do property and casualty. I already have a company that wants to hire me wants I am licensed

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Lindsay, Here is a link to our TX Property and Casualty course. When you are finished you will want to signup with Pearson VUE to take the PC exam: Texas General Lines – Property & Casualty – English = InsTC-PC06. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

  38. Anabelle says:


    Can I take the Life Agent exam on my own or I have to be affiliated with a broker or insurance company? What are the requirements to take the exam? Can I take it just to see where am at at decide later whether I want to apply for a license?

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Anabell, You can take the exam with out an affiliation. Often people get fully licenses with Property Casualty (PC) and Life Health (LH) before even contacting companies for a job. Most companies would rather you have the exam out of the way and be fully licensed! Once you have passed your exam you have a year to apply for your license. There is no pre-licensing requirement in Texas so you can study however you see fit (we feel our courses are very helpful 😉 ). Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks.

  39. Ruby says:

    hi quick question am little confuse on General Lines Life, Accident and Health (Ins TX-LAH05) is this one test by it self and the cost $62 dollars and how would i find it to purchase the test …..

    And is General Lines Property & Casualty (Ins TX PC06) seperate test that cost $62 dollars too and what code do I use to purchase the exam. Or they are 2 in one ????

    N if there seperated would i have to schedual for both at same time or seperated…and what are codes for each exams so i can purchase …… Can you please help me thank you for time…

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Ruby,

      The exam fee of $62 is to take the exam with Pearson VUE. If you are looking for a course to prepare you for an exam, ours are here. We recommend taking one course at a time and passing the exam with Pearson VUE before starting another course. Most of our students will take the General Lines Property and Casualty Course and pass that exam, then follow up with General Lines Life, Accident and Health. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

America's Professor - Reviews
5 1547 1547 5 2