Property & Casualty Insurance License

Property & Casualty (PC) License: What You Need to Know



What Is Property and Casualty Insurance?


Property and Casualty insurance is the umbrella name for a variety of policies that cover an individual’s or business’ assets (“property”) and/or protect them from liability/lawsuits (“casualty”).


A Property & Casualty license enables you to sell auto, home, and business insurance policies to individuals and businesses. You may choose to work as an independent agent or opt to work with an established insurance agency. Even those who discuss and manage auto, home, and business insurance policies, such as Customer Service Representatives (CSR), are often required to maintain a P&C license. In some states Surety Bail agents are also required to either obtain a Property & Casualty license (e.g. Virginia) or just a Casualty license (e.g. Georgia).


What Kinds of Policies Can Property and Casualty Insurance Agents Sell?


This kind of insurance encompasses various subtypes. These include the following:


  • Car insurance (Personal Auto insurance or Commercial Auto insurance)
  • Homeowners insurance
  • Commercial Property insurance
  • Commercial General Liability (CGL) insurance
  • Workers Compensation insurance
  • Professional Liability insurance (E&O, D&O)
  • Inland Marine insurance
  • Renters insurance
  • Condo insurance
  • Power Sports insurance (e.g., for boats & motorcycles)
  • Landlord insurance


Requirements for a Property and Casualty Insurance License


You must pass a general knowledge exam in order to become a licensed P&C agent. The requirements vary by state, but the timed exams typically consist of a series of multiple choice questions testing your insurance knowledge.


Here are the basic steps to becoming a licensed insurance agent:


  • Complete a Pre-Licensing Course: Roughly half of all states have pre-licensing requirements. Whether required or not, taking a pre-licensing course like those offered by America’s Professor is highly recommended to ensure you pass the exam the first time.
  • Pass Your State Exam: Take the test in person at the provider’s physical location. The tests are time-restricted and the number of multiple choice questions varies by state. The percentage needed to obtain a passing grade varies by state but is usually between 70% – 80%.
  • Get Fingerprinted: Most states require licensed agents to be fingerprinted and to undergo a background check. There is usually an on-site fingerprinting technician where you take your exam.
  • Get Your License: After passing your insurance exam you will apply for your license through the state’s licensing provider. This process sometimes takes a few weeks depending on how busy they are.
  • Fulfill Continuing Education Requirements: After obtaining a license all states require insurance agents to undergo periodic continuing education (CE) to refresh their insurance knowledge and learn about new laws impacting the insurance industry. CE requirements vary by state.




America’s Professor offers both national and state insurance exam prep courses. Our comprehensive courses are designed to help you pass your exam the first time and include:

  • Detailed video lectures, accessible 24/7
  • A free textbook to reinforce your learning
  • Standard 45-day subscription with extra time if needed at no charge
  • Sample questions and practice quizzes simulating questions on the actual exam


This type of insurance is perennially in demand, and many agents specialize in selling these policies to businesses and private individuals. Having said that, let’s take a closer look at property and casualty insurance licenses.


How Can You Prepare for the Exam?


You can turn to America’s Professor for an array of state-specific tools and resources that will enable you to go into the exam with confidence.


video courses online sample questions