How to Become an Insurance Agent in Georgia

Georgia Icon

Licensure is the final goal for any person who wants to provide consumers in their state with information on different types of insurance and to sell them policies that meet their individual needs. The requirements that must be met prior to licensure differ among the states. In Georgia, residents who would like to become insurance agents have specific requirements that must be met prior to being permitted to take an insurance license exam.  They must first take and successfully complete a state approved course for which they receive a certificate of completion. This course requirement applies to every category, or line, of insurance that they wish to be licensed under.

Insurance Agent Learning Resources

Getting your license to sell insurance in Georgia will allow you to work for an insurance company or as an independent broker selling insurance policies to other people and businesses. Each category of insurance that you want to sell in Georgia will require a different license under the state. Responsibilities as an insurance agent include understanding the terms and availability of insurance policies to explain to your clients, making recommendations for changes on policies when needed, and determining premiums.

The following steps are a basic outline for what you need to do to become a licensed insurance agent in Georgia:

  • Start with a good quality approved Georgia pre-license insurance course. In order to attain licensure in Georgia, you are required to take an approved 20-hour course for each line of authority you wish to be licensed for such as Life, Accident & Sickness (Health), Property, Casualty and Personal Lines. Course combos can also be taken, such as 40-hour courses for Property and Casualty, or for Life and Accident & Sickness. Georgia Adjusters and Public Adjusters are also required to take a 40-hour Property & Casualty course but pass the specific Adjuster exam they want to be licensed for. 
  • A study-at-your-own pace online course will allow you to fit your studies into your schedule. Make sure you choose a reliable source for the instruction that includes all of the information needed which pertains to the state requirements, and the practice exams that allow you to test your knowledge and pinpoint areas where you need additional focus. Although your course is a requirement toward your receiving your license, it is also a valuable tool for helping you learn the information about licensure in Georgia. The quality of your study materials will determine your successful preparation for the licensing exam.
  • Once you have completed your approved pre-licensing course, received certificates of completion, and are comfortable with the information available through the course, you will need to register for a Georgia insurance test and pay the required fees. We recommend taking the exam as soon as possible after completing your pre-licensing course. (more GA exam info)
  • Once you have taken and passed your exam, you will be required to submit a license application to receive your Georgia insurance agent license. Be sure to also include your certificates of course completion when submitting your application. You should expect to pay separate fees for the license application and for the license itself (usually totaling around $115).

The pre-licensing course you take to prepare you for the insurance exam is one of the most important tools any potential insurance agent can rely on. Although some people find the exam challenging, at best, those who are adequately prepared can pass the test the first time they try. Thanks to the convenience of internet courses, students are able to get the information and practice they need, on a flexible schedule that takes the stress out of studying. The choice in insurance license classes and the quality of study materials is the most important factor in completing your Georgia insurance licensing requirements quickly and effectively.


video courses online sample questions
Georgia Insurance Agent Pre-License Courses Georgia Insurance Sample Questions



To become a Georgia insurance agent, individuals must first enroll in an approved insurance pre-license prep course and complete required hours of study and learn applicable information. Once completed, the next step is to pass the license exam and apply for the license.

Company Bio

America’s Professor (https://americasprofessor.com) is a company which teaches insurance pre-licensing courses to help potential insurance agents acquire their licenses. They have over 30 years of experience at providing the highest quality courses through the use of instructional videos and easy-to-understand textbooks.

28 responses to “How to Become an Insurance Agent in Georgia”

  1. I am interested in a good pre lincensure course for becoming an insurance agent in Georgia.

  2. America's Professor - DCM says:

    Hi Denver, We indeed have great insurance license courses for Georgia (http://ga.insurance.americasprofessor.com) with very high first time pass results. Please give us a call if you have any questions. Thanks and have a great day.

  3. Al says:

    I am thinking to move to Georgia next year I want to get my license my 2-20 us there any requirements? If you have a pas felony that’s 12 years old in Florida can you still get your license?

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hi Al, Anytime you have something in your past that you feel might be a problem, I recommend contacting the state’s insurance department and talking to the Licensing division (1-800-656-2298). There is usually a process you can go through to know whether or not they will issue you a license after passing the insurance licensing exam and submitting your application. There’s no point for you to waste your time and resources completing a required course and passing the licensing exam if they won’t issue you a license. More often than not a person’s distant past doesn’t affect the licensing process but it’s always good to check if you have any questions. In Georgia the 2-20 license would be a full Property and Casualty (PC) license and has a 40-hour approved pre-licensing course requirement (much less than the 200-hour requirement of Florida). After completing an approved course, like our PC course, simply take your PC exam (12-GA-06) with Person VUE, pass and apply for your license. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

  4. Chanita Grier says:

    I would like information packet

  5. Katie says:

    If you take these courses, does it allow you to work under NAIFA ?

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hi Katie, Since NAIFA is an association you could be a part of if you were an insurance agent/producer, financial advisor or both. We help people pass their insurance license exams in the insurance industry so that they can become insurance agents/producers. We do not however have any courses for securities licenses, which are often held by financial advisors.

  6. Sherrie says:

    I have a personal lines license in OH. I am moving to GA in a few months. Will I need to retake for the GA P&C?

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Sherrie, You will want to call the insurance licensing department in Georgia (800-656-2298) and ask them if your Personal Lines license will transfer over. Usually a person will have to get a clearance letter from their current state’s department of insurance, Ohio DOI in your case. The current state will give a period of time to transfer the license to the new state (Georgia). If you get it transferred in the allotted time you usually won’t have to take a pre-licensing course and go through the licensing process again. Good luck!

  7. Teri Williams says:

    Once licensed in Georgia, how hard is it to transfer the license to Florida?
    Thank you

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Teri, You will want to call and talk to the Agent licensing department in Florida (850-413-3137) to verify but the last time we checked you needed to have a clearance letter from your state and your license in Georgia has to be in good standing for at least a year. If not, you will have to start the licensing process again in Florida. Good luck!

  8. Regina Kramer says:

    I am looking to change my career.i have been looking to become a license insurance sales person.

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Regina, Insurance is a great career choice. Please contact us if you have any questions regarding the process of getting your insurance license. Thanks and have a great day!

  9. Kim says:

    I have a Ga p&c license, I am wanting to get my adjuster license, would I have to retake the test or just apply?

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Kim, You would need to take take the specific Adjuster exam you are trying to be licensed for, 12-GA-24 for a regular Adjuster and 12-GA-20 for a Public Adjuster. You must also have a valid certificate of completion. If you do not have a valid certificate of completion (valid for 1 year) you must take another Georgia Approved Property and Casualty Adjuster course. We are seeing a lot of licensed GA PC Agents/Producers trying to pick up an Adjuster license but they’ve been licensed as an agent for years so their certificate is way out of date. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

  10. ronnie soriano says:

    hello, im interested to become auto insurance agent and hopefully someday will have my own company

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hi Ronnie, You will want to start off by getting your Property and Casualty license to be able to sell auto insurance. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

  11. Derek says:

    Hello, how and where do you actually apply for the license after you pass the exam?

  12. Ebony. L says:

    Hello are your classes online or do you guys just mail out books? Which classes would I take if I want to be licensed for insurance and adjuster. I want to be able to do it all!

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Ebony, Our classes are online but we also send books. Our goal is to simulate a live course by having our students take notes and highlight their books while watching the pre-recorded lectures online and take review questions. Our Georgia Property and Casualty (+ Adjuster) course will prepare you for both Adjuster exams and the Property Casualty Agent exam while meeting your state pre-licensing requirement. Please give us a call if you have any other questions. Thanks and have a great day!

  13. Amelia says:

    Once I meet the requirements and I get my license, do I have to be sponsored by an agency or can I keep my license as long as I meet the license renewal requirements?

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Amelia, You do not need to be sponsored to take the Property and Casualty or Life, Accident and Sickness Producer exams or to hold the licenses. You will only have to keep up with your continuing education requirements to keep your license(s) active. To sell insurance though you must be affiliated with an insurance company.

  14. Noah says:

    What exam would I need to take to become an auto adjuster here in Georgia? Thanks.

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Noah, In Georgia you need to take an approved 40-hour Property and Casualty course but pass the Adjuster exam with Pearson VUE (more info). On our site you can either purchase a Georgia Property Casualty course or the Georgia Adjuster course. Each will give the required material and certificate of completion to pass your Adjuster exam. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

  15. Peggy Weil says:

    Are you allowed to sell life insurance under a “pre- license”?

    • America's Professor - DCM says:

      Hello Peggy, You have to take an approved pre-license course to meet the Georgia state education requirement, pass the licensing exam with Pearson VUE, then apply for your license with the state. The state will then issue you a license to sell insurance under a company that you go to work for. So the “pre-license” class is just the class you take prior to getting your license. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

America's Professor - Reviews
5 1076 1076 5 2