Becoming an insurance agent is one of the best ways to secure a potentially lucrative career in a stable industry.
A licensed insurance agent/producer is someone who sells insurance on behalf of an insurance company. An insurance broker, on the other hand, works on behalf of their clients rather than on behalf of insurance companies (read more about the differences between an insurance agent/producer and broker here).
As a licensed insurance agent (in Arizona, agents are called producers) you have options. You can:
- Work for an insurance company as a captive agent, which means you only sell policies for one insurance company.
- Work as an independent agent, which means you can sell policies for one or more insurance companies.
- Work as a customer service representative, helping customers understand and make changes to their insurance policies.
Whether you’re still deciding, or you know exactly how you want to use your license—as a captive agent, independent agent, or customer service rep—you need to know how to become an insurance agent in Arizona. Read on to learn more.
3 Steps to Getting Your Insurance License
Here is a basic overview of how to get your Arizona insurance license.
- Enroll in a pre-licensing insurance course to help prepare you for the licensing exam. Arizona doesn’t require you to take an exam prep course, but we highly recommend it. It’s the best way to ensure you pass your insurance exam on the first try. An exam prep course through a reputable provider, like America’s Professor, will help you make sense of complex insurance concepts and terms; our courses will teach you everything you need to know to pass your exam—things like what a “loss payable clause” is, how personal injury protection coverage works, and much more. Our courses include a hardcopy textbook that covers everything you might encounter on the exam, 24/7 access to our online suite of streaming “better-than-live” video lectures (with more time at no charge, if needed), and world-class customer service until you pass.
- Register for your Arizona exam. Once you’ve completed your licensing prep course, you should be well-versed on the information and ready to take your licensing exam. You must register to take the exam through Prometric, the company that administers the exams in Arizona. We recommend taking the exam as soon as possible after completing your pre-licensing course while the information is still fresh in your mind. Learn more about what to expect on the exam; testing center locations; exam, license, and fingerprinting fees; and more here.
- Pass your exam and apply for your license. Once you’ve passed your exam, you’ll need to get fingerprinted and apply for your Arizona license. You can start selling or discussing insurance as soon as you receive your license ! For more information about testing centers, getting fingerprinted, and associated fees, click here.
Taking an exam prep course is one of the most important steps you can take to ensure you have the knowledge you need to pass your exam on the first try.
Enroll in a pre-licensing course today and be on your way to launching or expanding your career in the lucrative insurance industry!
|Arizona Insurance Agent Pre-License Courses||Arizona Insurance Sample Questions|